Skip to main content

best comedians of the decade

criteria : must do stand-up comedy. only judged from stand up and sketch .

10.Demetri Martin


























why: He likes constructing palindromes. That's reason enough. Uses all sorts of visual aids and sketches. Great with the one liners too. Most unconventional comedian since Gallagher.Maybe.



9. Russell Brand
























why: Obnoxious, loud and very strange. Known as much for his off stage antics than his comedy. But one of the best young 'angry' comedians out there. Although there's a sneaking suspicion the accent makes him cool (er).

8. Robin Williams

























why: Back in2002 with LIVE on Broadway, the show broke several records for a comedy show. Showed he's still funny, hasn't let success go to his head and can still make it all up on the spot.



7. Ricky Gervais




















why: In the Office for the first part of the century, everywhere else for the last. Most people know him for his film roles, but he's great on the stage too. Doesn't shy away from the controversial topics. And it isn't everyone who can makes (good) comedy about Nazis, the Holocaust, AIDS and religion.

6. David Cross:




























why: The man who brought out 'indie comedy'. Usually known for his satires on politics , he was one of the first comedians to start referencing 9/11 in his act.

5. Mitch Hedberg






















why: Died halfway through the decade, but still managed to be influential in five years. With his surreal humour, non -sequiturs and deadpan deliver, Hedberg has become a cult classic. ( even more so because of his drug related demise)


4. Patton Oswalt



















why: Convinced everything is ridiculous, and everything includes him too. Everything from pop culture to American foreign policy is in his stand -up routine, and no one ever made cuneiform script seem so funny. (and he was the rat in Ratatouille)

3.Russell Peters



























why: Nobody else ever made the phrase " 34.50" funny before he did. Never spares anyone , once there's something funny he's observed he'll make fun of it. And he'll make fun of himself too - especially because he's an Indian guy with the name Russell Peters.

2. Dave Chappelle


















why: Sketch comedy series of the decade with " Chapelle's show''. Man who gave us the line ' I'm Rick James bitch'. Every sketch he has is dead on, and even though he knows people sometimes won't get it, he won't compromise. And he did a six hour show that's funny from start to finish. (Dane Cook did a seven hour show that didn't even have a half hour of good material).

1. Chris Rock

























why: Acting, screenwriting ,directing and producing. Doesn't have a lot of free time but still managed to release 'Never Scared' and "Kill the Messenger' and go on worldwide tours. Been around for a long time and his comedy has grown up too, without losing what made him so funny to start with.

Comments

  1. For me Jim Carrey is the best comedians and actor. He is very smart, I love him. Usually I never miss any chance to view his performances. Next month there is a live show in NYC and I am definitely going there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Films of the Decade - 2010s - Third Part

11. Get Out (2017)-  Directed and written by  Jordan Peele. Horror seems to be an excellent medium to describe racism and it's somewhat amazing how obvious it seems in hindsight. One of the best debuts of a director in recent times, with a script that amps up the tension marvelously and serves up a twist in the tale that was impossible to see coming. Normally horror movies are seen as niche, but this film was popular with the wide audience and also at the award ceremonies further proving everyone was able to be captured by the film's quality. There has been talk of the film fitting into horror-comedy, probably due to Peele's comedy background, but while it is never laughably funny but does serve as a clever satire on the state of racial affairs. 12. The Death of Stalin (2017) - Directed by  Armando Iannuci.  Written by  Armando Iannuci, David Schneider and Ian Martin. Few topics are as ripe for satire as the workings of communist governments (provi...

Oscar Predictions-Film Awards (i)

Best Director Most likely winner :     Steven Spielberg   for Lincoln. Leaving out Ben Affleck, Kathryn Bigelow and Quentin Tarantino pretty much made this Spielberg's to lose. And doesn't reflect too well on the Academy either. Backup Pick :    David O. Russell for  Silver Linings Playbook. The production company of Weinstein have been campaigning hard for this and it's a good film with the acting performances set up well. The thing about best director is it's the easiest award to give to someone the academy likes because it's ambiguous and the academy doesn't really love Russell. Most deserving :      Michel Haneke for  Amour. Haneke has the most carefully crafted film here. All in all it is definitely his film in every scene. His presence is all around the film and it is an excellent film. If they give it for the greatest impact a director has on the film, this is it. Best Adapted Screenplay Most li...

Things I always Tell myself I will do After Exams End

I'm in the middle of exams and as always when I'm closer to the end than the start (one more week to go. finally) I always start thinking of what I'll do when exams are done. Like if there'll be this big change or new era that dawns when I have so much time free that I spend studying before exams. Usually never happens but I figured I'd list them. Maybe if they're visible and not mental I might stick to it more. 1. Sleep at a reasonable hour and for more than four hours a day 2. Eat proper meals at regular times with good nutrition 3. Following from 1&2, go gym regularly with no skipping days. Keep track of workouts. Try to progress. No cheats and slacking off or lazy days. 4. Read more 5. Write more 6. Try to figure out what I want to do, where I want to be in the next 5 years. Where to apply for postgrad research studies. What to apply to study. Do I want to study Creative Writing or Finance? 7. Practice playing guitar until I'm somewhat ...