Skip to main content

A list about the most depressing bands/artists ever (pt 1) V2.

Criteria: My list, my rules. As always. The artist/band has to have two albums from which songs can be picked (off as a minimum). Then a reference lyric will be used.

The list - Probably not that much in order.

35. Avenged Sevenfold -
Noisy, brash, loud, dark and gloomy. Probably going to get even gloomier with the passing of The Rev

Album 1 : City Of Evil -2005

(a) Seize The Day - "Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost.It's empty and cold without you here, too many people to ache over"

Album 2 : Avenged Sevenfold - 2007


(a) Dear God - "A lonely road crossed another cold state line.Miles away from those I love, purpose hard to find"



34.Wilco - In the later albums, most of the time I have no idea what they're on about. So I guess it's depressing music more than lyrics.

Album 1 : A.M. - 1995


(a) Box Full of Letters - "You'll come back again.And I'll still be your friend"

(b) Should Have been In Love - "Your life's been stinking, your heart's been shrinking.And you're too busy thinking to stop.You blink and you're blue"



Album 2: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot -2002

Reference Tracks

(a) I am Trying To Break Your Heart - "I'd always thought that if I held you tightly.You'd always love me like you did back then.Then I fell asleep and the city kept blinking.What was I thinking when I let you back in?"

(b) Jesus, Etc- "I'll be around.You were right about the stars.Each one is a setting sun"

(c) I'm The Man Who Loves You- "If I could you know I would.just hold your hand and you'd understand.I'm the man who loves you"

Album 3 : Sky Blue Sky - 2007

Reference Tracks

(a) Impossible Germany- "This is important.But I know you're not listening.No I know you're not listening"

(b) Hate it Here- "I try to stay busy.I do the dishes, I mow the lawn.I try to keep myself occupied.Even though I know you're not coming home"

(c)Leave Me Like You Found Me - "Can you believe it.I'm somebody just like you.Content with being blue, honestly.Leave me like you found me"




33.Arcade Fire -
The darlings of the indie- rock world. And with good reason. Probably going to hit mainstream in a big way after the Grammy win for 'Album of the Year'.

Album 1 : Funeral -2004

Reference Tracks

(a) Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) - " But sometimes, we remember our bedrooms,and our parent’s bedrooms,and the bedrooms of our friends.Then we think of our parents,well what ever happened to them?!"


(b)Wake up -"Somethin’ filled up my heart with nothin’,someone told me not to cry."


Album 2 : Neon Bible -2007

Reference tracks

(a) Keep The Car Running -"There’s a weight that’s pressing down.Late at night you can hear the sound.Even the noise you make when you sleep.Can’t swim across a river so deep"


(b) My Body Is a Cage -"I'm standing on the stage of fear and self-doubt.It's a hollow play,but they'll clap anyway"


Album 3 : The Suburbs - 2010

Reference Tracks

(a) We Used to Wait -"We used to wait.We used to waste hours just walking around.We used to wait.All those wasted lives in the wilderness downtown"


(b)Ready To Start - "Now you're knocking at my door saying please come out against the night.But I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright"


32. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - The best indie trio about right now? With songs of angst and lost love

Album 1 : Fever to tell -2003

Reference Tracks

(a) Maps- "Wait, they don't love you like i love you"


Album 2 : Show Your Bones -2006

Reference Tracks


(a) The Sweets -"The end will shelter me away from me .Can we meet again ?Meet and meet and meet and meet again"




31. Audioslave - Came from an angry group (Rage Against the Machine) and a grunge-downer one (Soundgarden). Had to be here.

Album 1: Audioslave - 2003

Reference Tracks

(a)Show Me How to Live - "Nail in my hand from my creator.You gave me life,now show me how to live"

(b) Shadow on the Sun - "Staring at the loss, looking for the cause and never really sure.Nothing but a hole, to live without a soul and nothing to be learned."


Album 2: Out of Exile -2005

Reference Tracks


(a) Heaven's Dead -"Best time you had for the best time you had.Heaven's dead when you get sad"





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

best comedians of the decade

criteria : must do stand-up comedy. only judged from stand up and sketch . 10.Demetri Martin why: He likes constructing palindromes. That's reason enough. Uses all sorts of visual aids and sketches. Great with the one liners too. Most unconventional comedian since Gallagher.Maybe. 9. Russell Brand why: Obnoxious, loud and very strange. Known as much for his off stage antics than his comedy. But one of the best young 'angry' comedians out there. Although there's a sneaking suspicion the accent makes him cool (er). 8. Robin Williams why: Back in2002 with LIVE on Broadway, the show broke several records for a comedy show. Showed he's still funny, hasn't let success go to his head and can still make it all up on the spot. 7. Ricky Gervais why: In the Office for the first part of the century, everywhere else for the last. Most people know him for his film roles, but he's great on the stage too. Doesn't shy away from the controversial topics. And it isn't

Best Films of the Decade - 2010s - Third Part

11. Get Out (2017)-  Directed and written by  Jordan Peele. Horror seems to be an excellent medium to describe racism and it's somewhat amazing how obvious it seems in hindsight. One of the best debuts of a director in recent times, with a script that amps up the tension marvelously and serves up a twist in the tale that was impossible to see coming. Normally horror movies are seen as niche, but this film was popular with the wide audience and also at the award ceremonies further proving everyone was able to be captured by the film's quality. There has been talk of the film fitting into horror-comedy, probably due to Peele's comedy background, but while it is never laughably funny but does serve as a clever satire on the state of racial affairs. 12. The Death of Stalin (2017) - Directed by  Armando Iannuci.  Written by  Armando Iannuci, David Schneider and Ian Martin. Few topics are as ripe for satire as the workings of communist governments (provided one can

Best Films of the Decade - 2010s - Second Part

As always, a giant list. The first 10 can be pretty much interchangeable depending on my mood. 21.  John Wick (2014) - Directed by  Chad Stalehski . Written by  Derek Kolstad.   Keanu Reeves already had experience as the face of an action franchise but it's possible in the future that we remember more for John Wick than as Neo. A film that came out of almost nowhere and managed to simultaneously be a homage and a way forward for action movies. Building off of an extensive source of knowledge of the films of John Woo, Jean Pierre Melville, anime and spaghetti westerns, it's the closest anyone has come to replicating the Gun-Fu Hong Kong classics. The well crafted world of John Wick keeps expanding too, with even more additions to the series in the works. Long may it continue. 22.  Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - Directed by  Denis Villeneuve . Written by  Michael Green  and  Hampton Fancher.   A sequel to one of the most beloved and acclaimed sci-film films of