Skip to main content

(my) Favorite Films of 2010


I'm only picking from what I've seen (because that's the only way). So I'm sure True Grit or The King's Speech might have made the list,since the reviews are great and they're on a lot of lists (and the original True Grit was excellent) , but I've haven't seem them yet.

15. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - Edgar Wright

Why: A great comic book adaptation. Anyone over 30 is probably going to hate it but the nonsensical, minimal attention span style of the film makes it an excellent watch.

14. Exit through The Gift Shop - Bansky - UK/USA

Why: A documentary? Or a farce. It works well either way, though probably better as a farce. It's strange and it's entertaining. And the ambiguousness only helps to make it better.

13. Lung Bunmi Raluek Chat (Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives) - Apichatpong Weerasethakul - Thailand

Why: Don't go looking for a plot. Less of a film than a mindtrip. Visually beautiful journey through a sometimes inscrutable world. Expect to laugh and be confused in sequence.

12. How to Train Your Dragon - Chris Sanders/Dean Deblois - USA

Why: Brilliant animation. Somewhat predictable storyline but there's a lot of character depth (for an animated movie). One of the few films that used 3D well instead of a gimmick.

11. Easy A- Will Gluck - USA

Why: Teen comedy. Why do we even watch them when 90% are junk? Because every now and then there's a one like this. Creative and witty with a thoroughly original plot and an engaging star.

1o. Animal Kingdom -David Michod -Australia

Why: Crime-Drama about a family. Sound's familiar? This isn't The Godfather. It's a complex and sometimes confusing look inside the (very) dysfunctional family, that the young protagonist finds himself in.


9. The Town -Ben Affleck - USA

Why: Lots of tension. Affleck shows that Academy Award-winning writing talent. The action scenes are memorable (which isn't easy to do considering how much action movies there are) and the final shootout is the best one in a long time.

8. The Fighter - David O. Russell - USA

Why: Sports movie of the year. This decade needed a boxing movie, every decade does. Brilliant performances from almost everyone in the movie. It's a bit predictable but you wouldn't have it any other way.

7.The Kids are All Right -Lisa Cholodenko - USA

Why: Comedy-Drama and family values generally come together to form a disastrous movie. But this film beats that stereotype. Of course family values are different for the children of two mothers, but that's the part that doesn't make things feel boring.

6. Biutiful - Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu - Mexico/Spain

Why: A very bleak tale showing the love a criminal has for his family. The entire film is beset by the specters of mortality and punishment making it very heavy watching.

5. Inception - Christopher Nolan -USA

Why: It's everything. A action movie, sci-fi, there's romance and there's the fact that it's (literally) all in someone's head. It's reality and dreams fighting and merging till they can't be told apart, all with brilliant visuals.



4. Winter's Bone - Debra Granik -USA

Why: Very bleak and dark, though ultimately triumphant. The cinematography gives us a view of life in the Ozarks which at times veers from familiar to completely alien.


3.The Social Network - David Fincher - USA

Why: The brilliance of this movie was completely unexpected by me. (I somehow thought it was a comedy). Great performances and screenplay that manages to show the lead character's feeling of lacking even in total success.

2. Toy Story 3 -Lee Unkrich - USA

Why: The perfect trilogy about growing up; ten years was worth the wait for this finale. Overcoming adversity, jailbreak scenes and action are all there but it's the scenes with toys interacting with humans that are most poignant.

1. Black Swan - Darren Aronofsky -USA

Why: Psychological thriller, extremely intense and compelling even though it's at times unbelievable. Definitely one that draws you in and really what's expected from an Aronofsky movie. Natalie Portman is (even more) amazing (than usual).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Films of the Decade - 2010s - Third Part

11. Get Out (2017)-  Directed and written by  Jordan Peele. Horror seems to be an excellent medium to describe racism and it's somewhat amazing how obvious it seems in hindsight. One of the best debuts of a director in recent times, with a script that amps up the tension marvelously and serves up a twist in the tale that was impossible to see coming. Normally horror movies are seen as niche, but this film was popular with the wide audience and also at the award ceremonies further proving everyone was able to be captured by the film's quality. There has been talk of the film fitting into horror-comedy, probably due to Peele's comedy background, but while it is never laughably funny but does serve as a clever satire on the state of racial affairs. 12. The Death of Stalin (2017) - Directed by  Armando Iannuci.  Written by  Armando Iannuci, David Schneider and Ian Martin. Few topics are as ripe for satire as the workings of communist governments (provi...

Oscar Predictions-Film Awards (i)

Best Director Most likely winner :     Steven Spielberg   for Lincoln. Leaving out Ben Affleck, Kathryn Bigelow and Quentin Tarantino pretty much made this Spielberg's to lose. And doesn't reflect too well on the Academy either. Backup Pick :    David O. Russell for  Silver Linings Playbook. The production company of Weinstein have been campaigning hard for this and it's a good film with the acting performances set up well. The thing about best director is it's the easiest award to give to someone the academy likes because it's ambiguous and the academy doesn't really love Russell. Most deserving :      Michel Haneke for  Amour. Haneke has the most carefully crafted film here. All in all it is definitely his film in every scene. His presence is all around the film and it is an excellent film. If they give it for the greatest impact a director has on the film, this is it. Best Adapted Screenplay Most li...

Things I always Tell myself I will do After Exams End

I'm in the middle of exams and as always when I'm closer to the end than the start (one more week to go. finally) I always start thinking of what I'll do when exams are done. Like if there'll be this big change or new era that dawns when I have so much time free that I spend studying before exams. Usually never happens but I figured I'd list them. Maybe if they're visible and not mental I might stick to it more. 1. Sleep at a reasonable hour and for more than four hours a day 2. Eat proper meals at regular times with good nutrition 3. Following from 1&2, go gym regularly with no skipping days. Keep track of workouts. Try to progress. No cheats and slacking off or lazy days. 4. Read more 5. Write more 6. Try to figure out what I want to do, where I want to be in the next 5 years. Where to apply for postgrad research studies. What to apply to study. Do I want to study Creative Writing or Finance? 7. Practice playing guitar until I'm somewhat ...