Skip to main content

Best Directors Working Today (Asia List)

Picked from directors who are Asian or film mostly in Asia. In the languages of the country that they're filming in. Or Asian languages. So if Clint Eastwood had decided to film all future movies like letters From Iwo Jima he'd be here. To qualify I'm making it that the director has to release an excellent film (in my opinion) during the 21st century and I need to be able to find at least 3 excellent reference films

21.Wang Xiaoshuai -China

Directing Timespan : 1993- present

Reference Films: Beijing Bicycle (2001); Shanghai Dreams (2005); The Days (1993)


20.Lee Chang-Dong -South Korea

Directing Timespan : 1997-present

Reference Films: Poetry (2010); Oasis (2002); Peppermint Candy (1999)


19. Kim Ki-duk -South Korea

Directing Timespan : 1996-present

Reference Films: Spring,Summer,Fall,Winter...and Spring (2003); The Bow (2005); Birdcage Inn (1998);

18. Johnnie To - Hong Kong

Directing Timespan : 1990-present

Reference Films: Life Without Principle (2011); Mad Detective (2007); Election (2005); All About Ah-Long (1990)


17. Hirozaku Koreeda -Japan

Directing Timespan : 1991-present

Reference Films: Hana (2006); Nobody Knows (2004); Still Walking (2008);After Life (1998)

16. Bong Joon-ho -South Korea

Directing Timespan : 2000-present

Reference Films: Mother (2009); The Host (2006); Memories of a Murder (2003)


15. .Zhang Yuan - China

Directing Timespan : 1990- Present

Reference Films: Dada's Dance (2008); Seventeen years (1999); Sons (1996); East Palace, West Palace (1999)



14.Peter Chan -Hong Kong

Directing Timespan- 1991-present

Reference Films: He's a Woman, She's a Man (1994); Comrades, Almost a Love Story (1996); Wu Xia (2011), Warlords (2007)


13. Stephen Chow - Hong Kong

Directing Timepsan : 1994-present

Reference Films: From Beijing with Love (1994); The God of Cookery (1996); King of Comedy (1999); Shaolin Soccer (2001); Kung Fu Hustle (2004)





12. Takashi Miike -Japan

Directing Timespan : 1991- present

Reference Films: Ichi the Killer (2001); Rainy Dog (1997); The Bird People in China (1998); 13 Assassins (2010)



11. Zhang Yimou -China

Directing Timespan : 1989-present

Reference Films: House of Flying Daggers (2004); Curse of the Golden Flower (2006); Raise The Red Lantern (1991); Red Sorghum (1989); Not One Less (1999)

10. Takeshi Kitano - Japan

Directing Timespan : 1989 - Present

Reference Films: Zatoichi (2003); Kikujiro (1999); Sono otoko, kyobo ni tsuki (1989)

9. Tsai Ming-liang - Malaysia/ Taiwan

Directing Timepsan: 1989- present

Reference Films: Vive L'amour (1994); What Time is It There? (2001); Goodbye, Dragon Inn(2003)

8. Park Chan-wook -South Korea

Directing Timespan : 1992-present

Reference Films: Oldboy (2003); Joint Security Area (2000); Sympathy for Mr Vengeance(2002); I'm a Cyborg , But That's Ok (2006), Thirst (2009)



7. Hou Hsaio-Hsien - Taiwan

Directing Timespan : 1980-present

Reference Films: Cafe Lumiere (2003); Three Times (2005); A City Of Sadness (1989); The Puppetmaster(1993)



6.Jia Zhangke -China

Directing Timespan : 1997-present

Reference Films: Still Life (2006); Platform (2000); The World (2004); 24 City (2008)

5. John Woo - Hong Kong

Directing Timespan : 1968- present

Reference Films: A Better Tomorrow (1986); The Killer (1989); Red Cliff (2008);Bullet in the Head (1990)

4.Wong Kar-Wai - Hong Kong

Directing Timespan : 1982-present

Reference Films: Chunking Express (1994), Happy Together (1996), In the Mood for Love (2000), 2046 (2004)

3. Apichatpong Weerasethakul - Thailand

Directing Timepsan: 1993-present

Reference Films: Tropical Malady (2004); Syndromes and a Century (2006); Blissfully Yours (2001)



2.Ang Lee- Taiwan

Directing Timespan: 1992- present

Reference Films: The Wedding Banquet (1993); Eat Drink Man Woman (1994);Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2001)

1. Hayao Miyazaki - Japan

Directing Timespan : 1979-present

Reference Films: My Neighbor Totoro(1988); Kiki's Delivery Service (1989); Princess Mononoke (1997); Spirited Away (2001); Howl's Moving Castle (2004)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Films of the Decade - 2010s - Third Part

11. Get Out (2017)-  Directed and written by  Jordan Peele. Horror seems to be an excellent medium to describe racism and it's somewhat amazing how obvious it seems in hindsight. One of the best debuts of a director in recent times, with a script that amps up the tension marvelously and serves up a twist in the tale that was impossible to see coming. Normally horror movies are seen as niche, but this film was popular with the wide audience and also at the award ceremonies further proving everyone was able to be captured by the film's quality. There has been talk of the film fitting into horror-comedy, probably due to Peele's comedy background, but while it is never laughably funny but does serve as a clever satire on the state of racial affairs. 12. The Death of Stalin (2017) - Directed by  Armando Iannuci.  Written by  Armando Iannuci, David Schneider and Ian Martin. Few topics are as ripe for satire as the workings of communist governments (provi...

Things I always Tell myself I will do After Exams End

I'm in the middle of exams and as always when I'm closer to the end than the start (one more week to go. finally) I always start thinking of what I'll do when exams are done. Like if there'll be this big change or new era that dawns when I have so much time free that I spend studying before exams. Usually never happens but I figured I'd list them. Maybe if they're visible and not mental I might stick to it more. 1. Sleep at a reasonable hour and for more than four hours a day 2. Eat proper meals at regular times with good nutrition 3. Following from 1&2, go gym regularly with no skipping days. Keep track of workouts. Try to progress. No cheats and slacking off or lazy days. 4. Read more 5. Write more 6. Try to figure out what I want to do, where I want to be in the next 5 years. Where to apply for postgrad research studies. What to apply to study. Do I want to study Creative Writing or Finance? 7. Practice playing guitar until I'm somewhat ...

Oscar Predictions-Film Awards (i)

Best Director Most likely winner :     Steven Spielberg   for Lincoln. Leaving out Ben Affleck, Kathryn Bigelow and Quentin Tarantino pretty much made this Spielberg's to lose. And doesn't reflect too well on the Academy either. Backup Pick :    David O. Russell for  Silver Linings Playbook. The production company of Weinstein have been campaigning hard for this and it's a good film with the acting performances set up well. The thing about best director is it's the easiest award to give to someone the academy likes because it's ambiguous and the academy doesn't really love Russell. Most deserving :      Michel Haneke for  Amour. Haneke has the most carefully crafted film here. All in all it is definitely his film in every scene. His presence is all around the film and it is an excellent film. If they give it for the greatest impact a director has on the film, this is it. Best Adapted Screenplay Most li...