Skip to main content

Travel Writing- The comfort of dosa

Food is usually linked to memory. This isn’t an original idea and to many people the food that I’ve chosen is barely memorable, just as most people won’t really be able to speak of great cheese sandwiches or fried eggs and not mean a specific meal instead of the entire selection of eggs or sandwiches.

Dosa is a simple meal which can be ready in a matter of minutes. I usually explain it as a savoury crepe made of rice and lentil flour. It is served with sambar (a lentil and tamarind stew) and coconut chutney.

The best dosa I’ve ever had is at Dosa Mahal in Toronto. It was the first time I’d had dosa in almost two years and that was probably why it remained in my mind as a representation of the best. It’s impossible to untangle the experience of food from the taste only. The taste is linked to history. It’s a common enough trope that even children’s movies like Ratatouille can use the idea that a simple dish which evokes memories of childhood will have deeper and almost spiritual resonance than extremely complex and difficult dishes.

Dosa at Dosa Mahal ( Toronto, Canada)


Dosa used to be another food that was linked to specific memories of a time and place. Just as deep fried tofu always reminds me of my last few months in Trinidad and cheese croissants remind me of my first trip to The Netherlands; dosa was inextricably linked to my Christmas in India.

Dosa at Dosa World, (Kochi, India.)


 I say was because my memories of dosa are no longer limited to India. Over the past year those recollections have become mixed with other memories. Now dosa represents meals in Malaysia, Paris and most strongly, in Wembley. It has overtaken almost other meals as my comfort food. Primarily due to it being a relief to find it. Because even in places where finding vegetarian food was close to impossible (like Penang), dosa could be managed to be found as an option.

Dosa at Aachi Chettinad (Wembley, England)


Despite being primarily of Tamil descent, dosa was nothing something I was familiar with growing up. In Trinidad, Indian culture lacks regional differentiation despite the varied backgrounds of people of East Indian descent. I grew up with Trinidadian versions of Indian staples such as puri and paratha but breakfast never involved any kind of Indian roti except sada roti.

I do not miss sada or doubles at all, despite having not had any since I migrated two years ago. Thinking about these foods do not cause me to wish for them. I have rarely been able to think of dosa without wishing it was available in close proximity. Now that it is, I rarely think of it without buying it shortly afterward.


The simplicity of this food allows it to be ready to be eaten very shortly after I’ve decided I want to eat it. It’s another candidate for strengthening my belief that fast food can be good if not bought from chains (depends on the dosa vendor, of course). And by being so strongly linked to time and place, it serves to strengthen the idea that street food is more of a regional marker than high-end food can ever be. 

Dosa at Govinda's (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Films of the Decade - 2010s - Third Part

11. Get Out (2017)-  Directed and written by  Jordan Peele. Horror seems to be an excellent medium to describe racism and it's somewhat amazing how obvious it seems in hindsight. One of the best debuts of a director in recent times, with a script that amps up the tension marvelously and serves up a twist in the tale that was impossible to see coming. Normally horror movies are seen as niche, but this film was popular with the wide audience and also at the award ceremonies further proving everyone was able to be captured by the film's quality. There has been talk of the film fitting into horror-comedy, probably due to Peele's comedy background, but while it is never laughably funny but does serve as a clever satire on the state of racial affairs. 12. The Death of Stalin (2017) - Directed by  Armando Iannuci.  Written by  Armando Iannuci, David Schneider and Ian Martin. Few topics are as ripe for satire as the workings of communist governments (provi...

Oscar Predictions-Film Awards (i)

Best Director Most likely winner :     Steven Spielberg   for Lincoln. Leaving out Ben Affleck, Kathryn Bigelow and Quentin Tarantino pretty much made this Spielberg's to lose. And doesn't reflect too well on the Academy either. Backup Pick :    David O. Russell for  Silver Linings Playbook. The production company of Weinstein have been campaigning hard for this and it's a good film with the acting performances set up well. The thing about best director is it's the easiest award to give to someone the academy likes because it's ambiguous and the academy doesn't really love Russell. Most deserving :      Michel Haneke for  Amour. Haneke has the most carefully crafted film here. All in all it is definitely his film in every scene. His presence is all around the film and it is an excellent film. If they give it for the greatest impact a director has on the film, this is it. Best Adapted Screenplay Most li...

Things I always Tell myself I will do After Exams End

I'm in the middle of exams and as always when I'm closer to the end than the start (one more week to go. finally) I always start thinking of what I'll do when exams are done. Like if there'll be this big change or new era that dawns when I have so much time free that I spend studying before exams. Usually never happens but I figured I'd list them. Maybe if they're visible and not mental I might stick to it more. 1. Sleep at a reasonable hour and for more than four hours a day 2. Eat proper meals at regular times with good nutrition 3. Following from 1&2, go gym regularly with no skipping days. Keep track of workouts. Try to progress. No cheats and slacking off or lazy days. 4. Read more 5. Write more 6. Try to figure out what I want to do, where I want to be in the next 5 years. Where to apply for postgrad research studies. What to apply to study. Do I want to study Creative Writing or Finance? 7. Practice playing guitar until I'm somewhat ...