Skip to main content

A list about potential future Nobel Prize winners (part II)

Disclaimer: I'm sure there will be many authors I've missed out simply because I haven't heard of them. It is impossible for me to read anything not published or translated into English or French. Or works that I cannot get a hold of even if translations exist ( the book market in Trinidad is a bit limited. It's not a perfect world). I'm making guesses with the material I have and hopefully the guesses are good. In no particular order:

12. Ian McEwan - England


Language: English






Genres: Novels; Short Stories; Children's Stories; Plays; Screenplays; Libretto

Reference Works: The Comfort of Strangers (1981); Amsterdam (1988); Atonement (2001);On Chesil Beach (2007)


11. Nuruddin Farah - Somalia


Language: English, Somali






Genres: Novels; Plays; Essays

Reference Works: From A Crooked Rib (1970); A Naked Needle (1976); Variations on  the Theme of An African Dictatorship (trilogy)- 1979-1983


10. Kamau Brathwaite - Barbados


Language: English






Genres: Poems, Plays, Essays

Reference Works:  The Arrivants (1973); Middle Passages (1992);  Born To Slow Horses (2005)


9. Paul Auster - United States of America


Language: English, French






Genres: Poetry, Plays, Novels, Essays, Screenplays

Reference Works: The Invention of Solitude (1982);The  Music of Chance (1990); Sunset Park (2010)


8. Cees Nooteboom - Netherlands


Language: Dutch






Genres: Novels, Short Stories, Travel Writing, Poetry, Essays

Reference Works: Rituelen (1980); Het Volgende Verhaal (1991); Nootebooms Hotel (2002)


7.  Cormac McCarthy - United States of America


Language: English






Genres: Novels; Plays, Screenplays

Reference Works: Suttree (1979); Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West (1985); No Country for Old Men (2005); The Road (2006)


6. Philip Roth -  United States of America


Language: English






Genres: Novels, Essays

Reference Works: Portnoy's Complaint (1969); Zuckerman Bound (1985); American Pastoral (1997); The Human Stain (2000)


5. Ko Un - South Korea (Republic of Korea)


Language: Korean






Genres: Poetry, Essays, Novels, Plays,

Reference Works: The Sound of My Waves (1991); Ten Thousand Lives (2005); Flowers of a Moment (2006)


4. Umberto Eco - Italy


Language: Italian






Genres: Essays, Novels, Children's Books

Reference Works: The Name of the Rose (1983), Foucault's Pendulum (1989); The Infinity of Lists (2009)


3. Salman Rushdie - England/ India


Language:  English






Genres: Novels, Essays

Reference Works: Midnight's Children (1981); The Ground Beneath Her Feet (1999); Shalimar the Clown (2005)




2. William Trevor - Ireland


Language : English






Genres: Novels, Short Stories, Plays

Reference Works: The Old Boys (1964); Angels at the Ritz and Other Stories (1975); Fools of Fortune (1983)


1. Javier Marias - Spain


Language : Spanish






Genres: Novels

Reference Works: A Heart So White (1995); Dark Back of Time (1998); Your Face Tomorrow 2: Dance and Dream (2006)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Films of the Decade - 2010s - Third Part

11. Get Out (2017)-  Directed and written by  Jordan Peele. Horror seems to be an excellent medium to describe racism and it's somewhat amazing how obvious it seems in hindsight. One of the best debuts of a director in recent times, with a script that amps up the tension marvelously and serves up a twist in the tale that was impossible to see coming. Normally horror movies are seen as niche, but this film was popular with the wide audience and also at the award ceremonies further proving everyone was able to be captured by the film's quality. There has been talk of the film fitting into horror-comedy, probably due to Peele's comedy background, but while it is never laughably funny but does serve as a clever satire on the state of racial affairs. 12. The Death of Stalin (2017) - Directed by  Armando Iannuci.  Written by  Armando Iannuci, David Schneider and Ian Martin. Few topics are as ripe for satire as the workings of communist governments (provi...

Oscar Predictions-Film Awards (i)

Best Director Most likely winner :     Steven Spielberg   for Lincoln. Leaving out Ben Affleck, Kathryn Bigelow and Quentin Tarantino pretty much made this Spielberg's to lose. And doesn't reflect too well on the Academy either. Backup Pick :    David O. Russell for  Silver Linings Playbook. The production company of Weinstein have been campaigning hard for this and it's a good film with the acting performances set up well. The thing about best director is it's the easiest award to give to someone the academy likes because it's ambiguous and the academy doesn't really love Russell. Most deserving :      Michel Haneke for  Amour. Haneke has the most carefully crafted film here. All in all it is definitely his film in every scene. His presence is all around the film and it is an excellent film. If they give it for the greatest impact a director has on the film, this is it. Best Adapted Screenplay Most li...

Things I always Tell myself I will do After Exams End

I'm in the middle of exams and as always when I'm closer to the end than the start (one more week to go. finally) I always start thinking of what I'll do when exams are done. Like if there'll be this big change or new era that dawns when I have so much time free that I spend studying before exams. Usually never happens but I figured I'd list them. Maybe if they're visible and not mental I might stick to it more. 1. Sleep at a reasonable hour and for more than four hours a day 2. Eat proper meals at regular times with good nutrition 3. Following from 1&2, go gym regularly with no skipping days. Keep track of workouts. Try to progress. No cheats and slacking off or lazy days. 4. Read more 5. Write more 6. Try to figure out what I want to do, where I want to be in the next 5 years. Where to apply for postgrad research studies. What to apply to study. Do I want to study Creative Writing or Finance? 7. Practice playing guitar until I'm somewhat ...