Skip to main content

A list about potential future Nobel Prize winners (part III)

Disclaimer: I'm sure there will be many authors I've missed out simply because I haven't heard of them. It is impossible for me to read anything not published or translated into English or French. Or works that I cannot get a hold of even if translations exist ( the book market in Trinidad is a bit limited. It's not a perfect world). I'm making guesses with the material I have and hopefully the guesses are good. In no particular order:

12. David Malouf - Australia


Language: English






Genre: Novels; Short Stories; Plays; Poetry

Reference Works: The Great World (1990); Remembering Babylon (1993); The Complete Stories (2007)


11. Assia Djebar - Algeria


Language : French






Genre: Novels; Essays; Short Stories

Reference Works: Les Impatients (1958); Loin de Medine (1991); Vaste est la prison (1995)


10. Jonathan Franzen - United States of America


Language: English






Genres: Novels;Essays

Reference Works: The Corrections (2001); How to be Alone (2002); Freedom (2010)


9. Ismail Kadare - Albania


Language: Albanian, French






Genres: Novels, Poems

Reference Works: Broken April (1978); Dorutine (1980); The Pyramid (1995)


8. Michael Chabon - United States of America


Language: English






Genres: Essays; Poetry; Short Stories

Reference Works: The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier & Clay (2000); The Yiddish Policeman's Union (2007); Maps and Legends (2008)


7. Lyudmila Ulitskaya - Russia


Language: Russian






Genres: Novels, Short Stories

Reference Works:  Sonechka (1995); Kukotsky's Case (2001); Sincerely Yours, Shurik (2003)


6. John Banville - Ireland, Republic of


Language: English






Genres: Novels; Plays; Short Stories

Reference Works:   Birchwood (1973); The Book of Evidence (1989); The Sea (2005)


5. Peter Carey - Australia


Language: English






Genres: Novels; Short Stories

Reference Works: Oscar and Lucinda (1988); Jack Maggs (1998); True History of the Kelly Gang (2001)


4. Michael Ondaatje -Sri Lanka/ Canada


Language:  English






Genres: Novels; Poetry

Reference Works: There's a Trick With a Knife I'm Learning to Do (1979); The English Patient (1992); Anil's Ghost (2000)


3. Tahar Ben Jelloun - Morocco


Language: French






Genres: Novels

Reference Works: L'Enfant De Sable (1985); La Nuit Sacree (1987); Le racisme explique a ma fille (1997)


2. Adam Zagajewski - Poland


Language: Polish






Genres: Poems; Essays

Reference Works: Canvas (1991); Eternal Enemies (2008); Unseen Hand (2009)


1. Vikram Seth - India


Language: English






Genres: Novels; Poetry

Reference Works: A Suitable Boy(1993); All You Who Sleep Tonight (1990); An Equal Music (1999)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Films of the Decade - 2010s - Third Part

11. Get Out (2017)-  Directed and written by  Jordan Peele. Horror seems to be an excellent medium to describe racism and it's somewhat amazing how obvious it seems in hindsight. One of the best debuts of a director in recent times, with a script that amps up the tension marvelously and serves up a twist in the tale that was impossible to see coming. Normally horror movies are seen as niche, but this film was popular with the wide audience and also at the award ceremonies further proving everyone was able to be captured by the film's quality. There has been talk of the film fitting into horror-comedy, probably due to Peele's comedy background, but while it is never laughably funny but does serve as a clever satire on the state of racial affairs. 12. The Death of Stalin (2017) - Directed by  Armando Iannuci.  Written by  Armando Iannuci, David Schneider and Ian Martin. Few topics are as ripe for satire as the workings of communist governments (provi...

Oscar Predictions-Film Awards (i)

Best Director Most likely winner :     Steven Spielberg   for Lincoln. Leaving out Ben Affleck, Kathryn Bigelow and Quentin Tarantino pretty much made this Spielberg's to lose. And doesn't reflect too well on the Academy either. Backup Pick :    David O. Russell for  Silver Linings Playbook. The production company of Weinstein have been campaigning hard for this and it's a good film with the acting performances set up well. The thing about best director is it's the easiest award to give to someone the academy likes because it's ambiguous and the academy doesn't really love Russell. Most deserving :      Michel Haneke for  Amour. Haneke has the most carefully crafted film here. All in all it is definitely his film in every scene. His presence is all around the film and it is an excellent film. If they give it for the greatest impact a director has on the film, this is it. Best Adapted Screenplay Most li...

Things I always Tell myself I will do After Exams End

I'm in the middle of exams and as always when I'm closer to the end than the start (one more week to go. finally) I always start thinking of what I'll do when exams are done. Like if there'll be this big change or new era that dawns when I have so much time free that I spend studying before exams. Usually never happens but I figured I'd list them. Maybe if they're visible and not mental I might stick to it more. 1. Sleep at a reasonable hour and for more than four hours a day 2. Eat proper meals at regular times with good nutrition 3. Following from 1&2, go gym regularly with no skipping days. Keep track of workouts. Try to progress. No cheats and slacking off or lazy days. 4. Read more 5. Write more 6. Try to figure out what I want to do, where I want to be in the next 5 years. Where to apply for postgrad research studies. What to apply to study. Do I want to study Creative Writing or Finance? 7. Practice playing guitar until I'm somewhat ...